Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Meet Brody

Sent from heaven, I often refer to Brody as an angel. He is an eight year old boy with moderate to severe autism. His IQ is unknown to us as he is labeled "untestable." He is completely nonverbal and his receptive language skills are virtually nonexistent. Sweet and loving, he is passive and non agressive for the majority of the time. He prefers to spend his time mostly alone, swinging on a swing outside, playing with string or a beaded necklace. He loves to take rides down the road in a car, any car. In fact, he will go with anyone as long as he can go for a ride! He is an extremely picky eater: only eating finger foods (chicken fingers and biscuit bottoms are his favorite). To say he has a sweet tooth would be an understatement! He love debbie cakes, skittles, suckers, etc. As previously mentioned, he is extremely passive, but not when it comes to three things! Food, Daddy, and Movies! He has been known to throw several fits because he wants some type of food (or he simply wants ALL of it), he misses or wants to be with his Daddy, or his movie has stopped or is messed up.

In regards to hygiene, he must be bathed by myself or his Dad. He is "semi" potty trained. He often still urinates in his underwear, in the floor, on chairs. He is unable to wipe himself and will stand up while doing his business.

He has several other quirks which I will mention as I attempt to blog about my journey with our autistic angel, Brody.

Brody on the first day of school this year.



Me and Brody!

Brody and his "little, big" brother, Blake!




1 comment:

  1. I have read through the posts, and enjoyed each one. I've laughed and smiled and parts made me want to cry because I miss the little one that I worked with. I have worried about him through the summer. I hope he remembers me when school starts back. It's nice to meet Brody and his little, big brother! :-)

    ~Tasha
    A Tender Teacher for Special Needs

    ReplyDelete